Design Competition – Help Lorne Renovate a Home – a (fun) holiday activity – With prizes!
Over the years travelling around and teaching I have realized that many of your tastes in design have made me rethink my own! So if you have some time and want to have some input on a real life project, I would appreciate all the advice I can get! From architects and interior designer to HVAC and electrical designers, come join a part of the project! If your entry is selected you will receive a cash prize and if you enter in any capacity I will provide a 50% discount for you or a friend to use on a future course.
I have created an as-built 3D model Sketchup, a 2D floor plan in CAD and I invite you to share any design ideas with me! The home is composed of 3 apartments across 4 floors and needs some TLC for its future tenants. I have broken the tasks up into categories so feel free to take a peek and play around with the design right here!
Existing Design Files Located Here:
1. For an all-in-one zipped package download here – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1x6IiYDOKpmzjaQaTrgJzITLN4W4SHERA?usp=sharing
2. Pictures of house inside and out – http://toronto-pix.com/mls2/11_mallon_ave/photos.html
3. There are no pictures of the main floor because it was occupied. But the main floor pretty much is identical to the second floor with the difference of an exit at the rear of the house.
4. Sketchup file – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YaJHjYTV4FH2BtLLGNsQoVVd-FKAVZio/view?usp=sharing
The can be viewed in the sketchup viewer – https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-viewer
5. CAD existing drawing – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1i5JkIOHKuF6Zfir_oWhmO3JnmwwI8vrU?usp=sharing
Here is a running list of some designs that I am using for inspiration but you can ignore them as I really want to see your own thoughts and designs – https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/144115901/thumbs/lorne-s-ideas
- No additional floor area will be built on. Meaning only existing areas can be designed.
- There are 3 walls boxing in the bedroom on floors 1 and 2. The bedroom and living room will be flipped so the living area is connected to the kitchen. A new bedroom will be created at the front of the house on floors 1 and 2.
The goal of this project is to design the interior in a way that is functional, attractive and appeals to a wide audience of potential future renters
Budget: $200 000
Remove stairs from basement to floor 1 as they are not in use.
Floor 1 and 2 – Connect the living room and kitchen into one large space. The bedroom and living room will be flipped so the living area is connected to the kitchen. A new bedroom will be created at the front of the house on floors 1 and 2.
Maintain the nice existing pine floors in bedrooms and living room of floors 1 and 2
Refinish bathroom and kitchen tiles or replace with a floor of your choosing
Major design changes:
Basement – new kitchen, new bathroom and furnish/paint to your liking
Floor 1 – new kitchen, new bathroom and furnish/paint to your liking. + rearrange layout as mentioned above
Floor 2 – new kitchen, new bathroom and furnish/paint to your liking. + rearrange layout as mentioned above
Floor 3 – The attic space is used as the master bedroom and has a balcony. I would like to add a full or half bath in a creative way (maybe with gables) without having to make structural changes. A new deck will likely add some spice!
Front, back and sides – You decide what it should look like! The front is the most important and you can google street view the surrounding homes/streets to get a sense for it – https://goo.gl/maps/RfbWCdi9Chdg86SC6
Front: Currently just a porch and grass lawn
Back: Currently just a porch and gravel for 2 parking spots. 2 spots must be maintained but feel free to get creative with the out door space
Add an AC system that can be fitted into the existing ductwork used for central heating via forced air furnace
Select AC system to serve the entire house. If you need more information to help size it let me know!
Currently the existing panel is 100amp and I will be adding a new AC to link into the existing ductwork as well as 2 more washer/dryer combo units. Does the panel need to be upgraded?
Submissions and Questions
The submission can be as detailed as you like. To be honest even pictures of homes that you like can be shared as I am really interested to see your taste!
Everything should be emailed to me directly at email@example.com
*Loose Due Date January 19th*